- "Empowering Knowledge: Political Leaders, Education, and Economic Liberalization." joint with Jingheng Li and Yang Yao. Accepted for publication in European Journal of Political Economy.
- "All the Emperor's Men? Conflicts and Power-sharing in Imperial China." 2019. Comparative Political Studies. 52(8): 1099-1130.
- "Capability and Opportunism: Evidence from City Officials in China." joint with Yang Yao and Muyang Zhang. 2018. Journal of Comparative Economics. 46: 1046-61.
- "Race to Safety: Political Competition, Neighborhood Effects, and Coal Mine Deaths in China'' joint with Xiangyu Shi. 2018. Journal of Development Economics. 131: 79-95.
- "Inclusive institutions and economic growth: comparative perspective and policy implications for China." 2017. China Economic Journal. 10(2): 108–127.
- "Elections as a Conflict Processing Mechanism.” joint with Adam Przeworski and Gonzalo Rivero. 2015. European Journal of Political Economy. 39: 235-48.
- "Reform or revolution? Theory and evidence on the role of the middle class in the rise of universal male suffrage.'' 2014. Journal of Theoretical Politics. 26(2): 283 - 311.
- "The Political Economy of Right-wing Populism: Evidence from Trade Shocks and Refugee Crises". joint with Yuchen Lin. Accepted for publication at China Economic Quarterly (in Chinese). 中文："右翼民粹主义的政治经济学：来自进口贸易和难民冲击的影响"，合作者林雨晨，《经济学季刊》接受。
- "Purifying the Leviathan: The Anti-Corruption Campaign and Changing Governance Models in China." joint with Yang Yao and Qian Zhang. Draft available upon request.
- "Better than On-the-job Training: Political Leaders' Work Experience Economic Performance." joint with Xiangyu Shi and Yang Yao.
- "Natural Resource Shocks and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Coal Productions in China." joint with Ruochen Dai, Lixing Li, and Xuanli Xie.
- "Moving Umbrellas: Bureaucratic Transfer, Political Connection, and Rent-Seeking in China." joint with Xiangyu Shi, Xiaobo Zhang, and Yifan Zhang.
- "Sponsored Human Capital: Bureaucratic Transfer and Economic Performance" joint with Lixing Li, Feng Wan, and Yang Yao.
- "Evading by All Means: How does Value-added Tax Affect Payroll Tax Compliance in China?" joint with Lixing Li, Zhengcheng Liu, and Zhuo Nie.
- "Does Owner Outperform Manager in Profiting from Political Connection? Agency, Uncertainty, and Embeddedness." joint with Xia Han and Xuanli Xie
- "Water liberates hands: The eﬀects of water program on labor reallocation in rural China." joint with Yuanzhe Li and Li-An Zhou.
- "Imperial Examination as a Representative Institution." joint with Yu Hao
- "Partisan Logic of Women Suffrage." joint with Adam Przeworski
Work in Progress:
- "Decentralization for taxation: state capacity and military conflicts in the late Qing Empire." joint with Jinlin Wei
- "The fiscal foundation of bureaucratic power sharing in the late Qing China.'' joint with Jinlin Wei
- "In the Shadow of Great Men: Leadership Successions and Dynamics of Authoritarian Power Sharing, 1950-2008." joint with Junyan Jiang and Haojun Xie.
- "Economic reform and political struggle." joint with Shuo Chen and Zhaotian Luo.
- “增值税征管与企业排污：一个多维度国家治理能力的视角.” （合作者：李力行、聂卓）
- "选拔、培养和激励：来自1994-2017年市级主官的证据." (合作者：姚洋、李力行等)
- "行政竞标制、官员激励与治理绩效——以国家卫生城市创建为例." (合作者：刘松瑞、王赫）
- “纪检和监察体制演变的政治逻辑.” (合作者：张舜栋)