Publications in English:
- "Moving Umbrellas: Bureaucratic transfers and the comovement of interregional investments in China." joint with Xiangyu Shi, Xiaobo Zhang, and Yifan Zhang. Journal of Development Economics. 153: 102717.
- "Evading by Any Means? VAT Enforcement and Payroll Tax Evasion in China." joint with Lixing Li, Zhengcheng Liu, and Zhuo Nie. 2021. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. Vol. 185. 770-784.
- "Empowering Knowledge: Political Leaders, Education, and Economic Liberalization." joint with Jingheng Li and Yang Yao. 2020. European Journal of Political Economy. Vol 61, 101823
- "All the Emperor's Men? Conflicts and Power-sharing in Imperial China." 2019. Comparative Political Studies. 52(8): 1099-1130.
- "Capability and Opportunism: Evidence from City Officials in China." joint with Yang Yao and Muyang Zhang. 2018. Journal of Comparative Economics. 46: 1046-61.
- "Race to Safety: Political Competition, Neighborhood Effects, and Coal Mine Deaths in China'' joint with Xiangyu Shi. 2018. Journal of Development Economics. 131: 79-95.
- "Inclusive institutions and economic growth: comparative perspective and policy implications for China." 2017. China Economic Journal. 10(2): 108–127.
- "Elections as a Conflict Processing Mechanism.” joint with Adam Przeworski and Gonzalo Rivero. 2015. European Journal of Political Economy. 39: 235-48.
- "Reform or revolution? Theory and evidence on the role of the middle class in the rise of universal male suffrage.'' 2014. Journal of Theoretical Politics. 26(2): 283 - 311.
Publications in Chinese:
- "右翼民粹主义的政治经济学：来自进口贸易和难民冲击的影响"，合作者林雨晨，2020.《经济学季刊》第十九卷第4期1191-1212页 "The Political Economy of Right-wing Populism: Evidence from Trade Shocks and Refugee Crises". joint with Yuchen Lin. China Economic Quarterly（Chinese: Jingjixue Jikan）. Vol. 19, No.4, 1191-1212.
- "选拔、培养和激励：来自CCER官员数据库的证据." 合作者：姚洋、李力行、王赫等，2020. 《经济学季刊》第十九卷第3期1017-1040页 "Selection, Training, and Incentive: An Introduction of CCER Official Dataset." joint with Yang Yao, Lixing Li, He Wang, et al 2020. China Economic Quarterly（Chinese: Jingjixue Jikan）. Vol. 19, No.4, 1191-1212. 《中国人民大学复印报刊资料—理论经济学》2021 年 01 期。
- "行政竞标制、治理绩效和官员激励——基于国家卫生城市评比的研究." 合作者：刘松瑞、王赫, 2020. 《公共管理学报》第十七卷第4期，10-20页。 Journal of Public Management (Chinese: Gonggong Guanli Xuebao). Vol 17, No.4, 10-20.
- “减税降费能促进地方政府提高财政支出效率吗？——来自2016年“营改增”试点全面推广的证据” 合作者 李力行、聂卓，2020《世界经济文汇》接受待刊。 Accepted for publication at World Economic Papers (Chinese: Shijie Jingji Wenhui).
- “环保督察与企业信息披露——来自上市公司的证据.” 合作者：黄北辰、聂卓, 2021. 《南方经济》，2021年第40卷第6期，87-100。（Chinese: "Environmental protection inspection and information disclosure: Evidence from listed firms", coauthored with Beichen Huang and Zhuo Nie. China South China Journal of Economics. 2021. 40(6): 87-100）
- "In the Shadows of Great Men: Leadership Turnovers and Power Dynamics in Autocracies." joint with Junyan Jiang and Haojun Xie. Under review.
- "Natural Resource Shocks and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Coal Productions in China." joint with Ruochen Dai, Lixing Li, and Xuanli Xie. Under review.
- "Purifying the Leviathan: The Anti-Corruption Campaign and Changing Governance Models in China." joint with Yang Yao and Qian Zhang. Under Review
- "Better than On-the-job Training: National Executive's Political Experience and Economic Performance." joint with Xiangyu Shi and Yang Yao. Under Review
- "Does Owner Outperform Manager in Profiting from Political Connection? Agency, Uncertainty, and Embeddedness." joint with Xia Han and Xuanli Xie.
- "Sponsored Human Capital: Bureaucratic Transfer and Economic Performance" joint with Lixing Li, Feng Wan, and Yang Yao.
- "Water liberates hands: The eﬀects of water program on labor reallocation in rural China." joint with Yuanzhe Li and Li-An Zhou.
中文工作论文 (Working Papers in Chinese)
- “地方财政压力与隐性债务扩张：基于“营改增”全面推广的研究.” 合作者：刘松瑞、聂卓、玄威.
Works in Progress:
- "Imperial Examination as a Representative Institution." joint with Yu Hao
- "Betting on Gratitude" joint with Adam Przeworski
- "Economic reform and political struggle." joint with Shuo Chen and Zhaotian Luo.
- "The fiscal foundation of bureaucratic power sharing in the late Qing China.'' joint with Jinlin Wei