- "Race to Safety: Political Competition, Neighborhood Effects, and Coal Mine Deaths in China'' joint with Xiangyu Shi. 2017. Journal of Development Economics. Accepted.
- "Inclusive institutions and economic growth: comparative perspective and policy implications for China." 2017. China Economic Journal. 10(2): 108–127.
- "Elections as a Conflict Processing Mechanism.” joint with Adam Przeworski and Gonzalo Rivero. 2015. European Journal of Political Economy. 39: 235-48.
- "Reform or revolution? Theory and evidence on the role of the middle class in the rise of universal male suffrage.'' 2014. Journal of Theoretical Politics. 26(2): 283 - 311.
- "Capability and Opportunism: Evidence from City Officials in China." joint with Yang Yao and Muyang Zhang. 2017. Revise & Resubmit.
- "All the Emperor's Men? Internal Conflicts and Bureaucratic Selection in Late Imperial China." 2017.
- "Leaders' Education and Economic Liberalization." joint with Jingheng Li and Yang Yao. 2016
- "Better than On-the-job Training: Experience and Leaders' Economic Performance." joint with Xiangyu Shi and Yang Yao.
- "Moving Umbrellas: Bureaucratic Transfer, Political Connection, and Rent-Seeking in China." joint with Xiangyu Shi, Xiaobo Zhang, and Yifan Zhang.
- "Power Sharing and Civil Conflicts in Divided Societies." 2015.
- “Partisan Logic of Woman Suffrage.” joint with Adam Przeworski and Kong Joo Shin. 2015.
Work in Progress:
- "Resource Price Shocks and entrepreneurship: Evidence from Chinese Cities." joint with Ruochen Dai, Lixing Li, and Xuanli Xie.